Monday, August 9, 2010

Vegetarian Won-tons

Today's lunch was savory won-tons, or as G. told the kids "cheese presents."

I had some won-ton wrappers left over from this weekends experiment in making crab rangoons (a success, btw), so I figured I'd use them up.

In a medium bowl I mixed up half a package of firm tofu and a half package of cream cheese. To this I added about a cup of shredded sharp cheddar. I minced and added a quarter cup or so of onion and about the same amount of green bell pepper. I tossed in a knife blade's worth of Chinese five spice powder and then mixed the whole thing up. I used my hands, to squish everything together and break up the larger chunks of tofu.

I packed a teaspoon full into each won-ton skin, folded them up and dropped them into hot oil. When the bottoms turned a pretty brown, I flipped them to get the tops very lightly. I didn't leave them upside down for long because I didn't want the yummy insides to drip out.

I plated them up and served them with the rest of the won-ton skins cut up and fried on the side. A big bowl of roasted veggies rounded everything out.

The verdict from the kids was that they were very yummy (although I think the flavor was unusual enough that they tired of it quickly). I think they were incredibly good -- the crab and cream cheese ones I made over the weekend needed sweet and sour sauce to complete their flavor goodness, these were awesome without any sauce at all. Also, they're completely vegetarian.

I'll definitely be adding won-ton goodies to my regular repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment